Double-Double Protein Style Burger
A healthier version of an In-n-Out classic.
- ½ lb ground beef
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 1 ripe tomato (sliced)
- 1 iceberg lettuce head (small)
- 3 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
¼ cup animal-style spread
- Heat 2 teaspoons of avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onions and the salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir occasionally until the onions are browned.
Add 1 tablespoon of water to the skillet and continue cooking until the water evaporates and onions begin sizzling again.
Repeat until the onions are dark brown and extremely caramelized, about 3 times.
Transfer to a bowl and let them cool.
Peel the lettuce to a create your “buns.” Set aside.
- Shape the ground beef into four patties. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat;
- Swirl the oil to make a thin layer. When the oil is very hot, add the burger patties.
- Cook the patties fully through on both sides.
- Place one patty into the lettuce wrap. Add 1 tablespoon of sauce, followed by some caramelized onions and 1 tomato slice.
- Repeat the step a second time for the full double-double assembly.
- Wrap in parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Accompanies well with animal-style fries.