A healthier version of a popular takeout dish.
- 1 lb steak (skirt or flank)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or tapioca powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons fish sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- Slice the steak into small pieces. Add to a large bowl.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and arrowroot. Toss to coat.
Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the steak in a single layer to the pan, you may need to work in batches.
- Sear the steak a few minutes on each side until it forms a deep brown crust.
Transfer the cooked steak to a plate and set aside. Repeat with the rest of the steak.
Add the garlic and sesame oil to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
Pour in the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
Return the steak to the skillet. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Bring the sauce to a simmer again. Cook until the sauce has thickened, stirring often.
- Accompany with cauliflower fried rice.